Translate

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Unexpected Inspiration


Dollhouse inspiration doesn't have to come from other dollhouses.

Ever heard of Mariko Kusumoto? She's a Japanese metal artist, and her work is stunning. Do watch the short film at the end of the page for some tiny surprises!

Alan Wolfson creates tiny, incredibly detailed sculptures of urban scenes. Subway stations, Times Square flophouses, phone booths on litter-strewn corners - they're all here and look exactly like gritty, grimy New York. 

Erik Goddard constructs beautiful miniature houses and room boxes in several styles - and seems to be one of the few artists who also builds tiny tree houses! I think I know what one of my future projects is going to be...

I was lucky enough to be in London when "Telling Tales" was being shown at the Victoria & Albert Museum, and have the exhibit book. While the unsettling "Heaven and Hell" section is far from my cup of tea, I wouldn't say no to an over-the-top tulip vase in dollhouse scale, I adore Wieki Somers' Bathboat, and am seriously considering replicating either Kiki van Eijk's "Kiki" carpet or one of Tord Boontje's chairs in the dollhouse. 

Have you ever watched a TV show and fallen in love with the set? I am not a big TV watcher, but I really like the apartments in Bedlam. Yes, the mostly-young tenants could probably never afford spaces like that in real life, but who's counting?

My dream dollhouse is going to be a French-style house, so I'm reading books on French interiors, watching French films (and Pixar's Ratatouille), and flipping through every Toulouse-Lautrec drawing and vintage French poster I can find online. I'm going to use the plans in Lea Frisoni's Le Grand Livre de la Maison Miniature, which is entirely in French, so I may end up learning the language too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment