I figured I'd work on the roof tiles while I'm waiting for the lights to arrive (since it makes more sense to install them while building the shell of the house). I cut and sanded a few hundred of them from skinny strips of wood before I realized it would be faster and easier - not to mention MUCH neater-looking - to simply score the wood strips to look like roof tiles.
I finished the front of the roof and most of one of the sides before I ran out of wood - and I did it in half the time it took to cut the individual tiles. I wish I'd thought of it sooner.
The difference is pretty obvious. Oh well, maybe distressing will make the individual tiles less messy-looking.